Global sales of deodorants reached sales of $21 billion (USD) in 2017, with an expected minimum annual growth of 5%. USA is the market leader in this segment, followed by Brazil that represents 16.5% of the market share in this category. It’s known that Farnesol and triclo-san are among the main components of deodorants in the market, this last one still being pre-sent in more than 8% of deodorants available worldwide, in spite of studies showing that triclo-san may be associated with endocrine dysfunction, neurotoxicity and cancer. But these issues are gaining worldwide visibility and its use in cosmetic products has been banned and/or re-stricted around the world.
On the other hand, farnesol representation in this category has been increasing year after year and is found in 24% of the products available in the marketplace, especially in France, UK, Germany and USA, where triclosan has already been replaced. However, recent studies show that farnesol is associated with allergic contact dermatitis, and it may soon be restricted in de-odorant products.
Thus, the development of new molecules that can act in an effective and powerful way as a deodorant, aligned with the trends of the cosmetic segment, which is constantly searching for plant-origin substances from renewable sources, turns out to be an immediate requirement in the global market.
Hebeatol® Plus DEO
is a functional xylitol ester with potent antimicrobial activity and deodorant function, and can be used as a safe substitute for traditional deodorant formula-tions.
This ingredient, of vegetable origin, is obtained from xylitol and caprylic acid. The first one is a pentol sugar, which main industrial source is the reuse of grain byproducts (i.e. a corn cob). Caprylic acid, however, is obtained from plant-based oils extracted in a sustainable way and certified by RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil). In addition to being obtained from renewable sources, the synthetic route of Hebeatol® Plus DEO
has been developed to meet most of the requirements of an ecologically-friendly process, generating a 100% biode-gradable molecule.
Proposed Mechanism of Action
• Non-ionic surfactant molecule: reduces surface tension of liquids and increases solubility of materials
• Reduces adherence of microorganisms in the skin
• Interacts with lipids and proteins of the cell membrane of the microorganisms generat-ing lysis
• Derivate from renewable sources
• 100% biodegradable molecule
• Eliminates 99.9% of odor causing microorganisms
• Offers extended protection: lasts up to 24 hours
• Has a bactericide effect when used in bar soaps
• Eliminates 100% of fungi causing nail mycosis and athlete's foot
• Due to its chemical structure, Hebeatol® Plus DEO has complementary properties, acting as emollient, solvent, solubilizer and co-emulsifier